Tuesday, January 14, 2014

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess - 52 Books in 52 Weeks

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Tessa has read 1 book toward her goal of 52 books.
hide

Another year, another reading challenge! I'm trying to do a little better in 2014, planning my books in advance and reading more quality material. If anyone read any excellent books last year I would love to hear about them and add them to my list.

Here's the deal: I'm trying to read one book per week (on average) this year. I did it last year (just barely) and it was a really great, if extremely challenging, choice. Last year I read only new-to-me books, but this year I'm going to count re-reads as part of my 52. This is for two reasons, because I seriously missed some of my old favorites, and because I'm trying to read some more non-fiction, and that's usually slower going for me. I think if I let my re-reads count I'll be able to diversify the rest of my list. Still definitely trying to read mostly new books, though! 

I'm tracking my progress on Goodreads, an awesome website that you should definitely check out, and maybe start your own reading challenge.


If anyone is looking for a great book to start the new year, I'd highly recommend this novel by Jen Hatmaker. She's one of the few (current) Christian authors that I have really enjoyed reading as of late, and this book is definitely her best. She struck a perfect balance of light, enjoyable blog-style writing while still delving into an issue that affect all of us.

Jen and her family spend a little under a year exploring the ways in which their life contains excess, specifically in seven categories: Clothes, Shopping, Waste, Food, Possessions, Media, and Stress. Honestly, those seven words alone struck a chord with me. I'm not a mother of five, so the day-to-day experience that the Hatmakers went through doesn't directly relate to me. I do however, recognize that there is so much excess in my life, and the message of the book was a perfect kickstart to begin evaluating my own life.











1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I need to check out this website. I tend to do better with completing my goals when I have a physical reward/reminder.
    Brittany @ fabulouslyfaint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete