Monday, March 4, 2013

Saint Patricks Day Green Popcorn




Here's a fun, yummy and most importantly simple recipe for a great St Patty's Day snack. 


Happy March everyone! I'm all about me some St Patty's Day. I would be lost without a reason between Valentines Day and Easter to inspire some holiday fun.

Ingredients:
-2 Bags Microwave Popcorn (any kind!)
-1 Container White/Vanilla Candy Coating (I used Kroger brand, they rock. Plus it's gluten free!)
-Green Food Coloring
-Green Sprinkles

Supplies:
-Wax Paper
-Cookie Sheet
-Large Bowl
-Microwavable bowl (if your candy coating doesn't come with a microwavable dish)
-Spoon



Go ahead and pop that popcorn and spread it all out of a cookie sheet. The wax paper isn't necessary for this step but it sure will be later!


Pick out all those unpopped kernels and mangled little popcorns and toss 'em. 


Toss the lovely and whole popcorn into a large bowl and set aside.


Microwave the candy coating as directed - better slow and safe so it doesn't burn! Drop the desired amount of food coloring in (I used about 10 drops, but that's far from and exact science).


Stir, stir, stir! If the candy starts getting to hard you can pop it back in the microwave for a few seconds.


Toss the gorgeous green candy coating on in there and mix well. It seems like it won't be enough at first but just keep stirring, a little goes a long way.


Voila! Once the popcorn is well-coated, spread it out on the wax paper lined cookie sheet and sprinkle on a ridiculous amount of sprinkles. Really get a lot of sprinkles on there, once the popcorn is moved to a different container it'll get all mixed around so go for it. Let sit until completely hard and then you can break it up and toss it in a bowl for a delicious treat!


I think these would also make really great popcorn balls, if you wanted to do bite sized treats. Maybe stick them in mini cupcake liners? Get creative! Let me know if you make these and how they turn out!

14 comments:

  1. stopping by from the blog hop at:
    http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

    and these look so YUMMY!!! This is such a great idea for the upcomming holiday!
    Thanks so much for sharing :-)

    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com
    http://www.infinitelifefitness.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking treat! I gotta make some for sure.
    Happy Monday!

    Jenny @ http://jennylynndesignz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea, my kids would love this! I would love for you to share this post on Thrifty Thursday link party this week @ http://fromnature-tonurture.blogspot.com/ Hope to see you there! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite! I've linked up =)

      Delete
  4. Holy yum! And such a cute idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM When should I be over with my bowl? ;)

    I'd love for you to share this at my March Madness Party.

    http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2013/03/march-madness-party-link-up-begins.html

    Happy Hump Day!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done and done! Thanks so much for the invite!

      Delete
  6. I'm looking forward to making this! It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun recipe! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a crazy green treat this is probably the lowest calorie one. Thanks so much for sharing it with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great idea!! Thanks for sharing this recipe on Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for linking up at Fluster's Creative Muster. Hope to see you next week!

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun popcorn to celebrate St. Patty's day! MMMMMM Thanks for sharing at March Madness

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great idea! I love the candy coating! I'm featuring this at my link party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete