Monday, February 25, 2013

Ombre Green Manicure

How to do an ombre manicure using only two nail polish colors!


With Valentine's Day behind us, I was inspired to create a St Patrick's Day manicure! 

I've seen a lot of ombre manis that require five different color polishes to achieve the effect, and that's a lot of polish! I don't know about you, but even with my fairly sizable collection I don't have 5 polishes of any one color. I've done a similar tutorial before using polishes with contrasting colors, but I love the way this turned out with such similar shades. 




The two polishes I used are Essie 'Navigate Her' and ULTA brand 'Jungle Look'. Essie is of course great, but I just have to say that I love Ulta's nail polish. They're often on sale for 2$/bottle and it's a great, long lasting formula. 


On a paper plate (or paper bag in this case) gloop a little of each color polish out. Don't place them far away from each other, because if the mixture gets too spread out it will dry out faster.


Take a toothpick and mix mix mix! I blended the middle color out of equal portions of light and dark green, and just a little bit of the opposite color went into the two side colors. So you're only blending three new colors, because you can use the original polish for the lightest and darkest shades. Make sense?


I borrowed my sweet sister's hands and went to painting! She was blessed with pretty fingers, her nails at their shortest are longer than mine ever get. 
We had to work quick, because the polish does dry out if you wait too long. I just used the brush that was in the polish after wiping it off a little, and it worked fine for me! I'm sure you could use a small paintbrush or thoroughly clean an old nail polish brush if you were worried about contaminating the colors. As you can see, I went light to dark from left to right on both hands, so the actual fingers aren't the same colors as their opposite hands. 


I finished off with a coat of Essie's 'Matte About You' because I like the look, but I would do a top coat no matter what. Mixing the polishes does leave the formula a bit thicker, and a top coat keeps things looking smooth and lasting longer!



There you have it! An easy, money-saving way to get a cute ombre polish look for less. Just in time for St Patricks Day.


6 comments:

  1. I love it!! Such a cute color combo!!

    Newest follower from Make up Monday <3

    xo
    Ange

    www.hairsprayandhighheels.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love green and perfect for St. Patty's Day. I'm following you via GFC. I host Fluster Creative Muster Party on Wednesdays and I would love it if you would come by and party with us. Hope to see you there!

    Hugs, Smiles, and Blessings,

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! I'll check it out next Wednesday =)
      -Tessa

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!! Love it. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually not a theme nail kind of girl but this one is subtle emough I might try it.

    ReplyDelete