Monday, October 15, 2012

Scratch Art Nails - How Tuesday

Scratch Art Manicure




Here's a fun tutorial for a bold mani that will brighten your day. 


Remember scratch art? Is that still a thing? I used to LOVE creating awesome designs on paper that would surprise you with the bright colors underneath. 



For this DIY manicure, you'll need any combination of bright colors. The following are what I used, but it'll look great with whatever you already have in your collection. 

Ulta Blue Streak, Ulta Sun-Sational, Essie Orange It's Obvious, Sinful Colors Exotic Green, and Ulta High Roller Red. 

You'll also need black polish, nail tape (or scotch tape cut into strips) and a top coat of your choice. 


The first step is to have a blast painting your nails in any funky, striped, spotted, swirled pattern you desire. Just think random! Make sure they're completely dry before proceeding to the next step. Overnight is good!


I pre-cut the tape to make the process quicker and more efficient. Yes that's Babylon 5 on DVD (Nerd Alert!) I'm halfway through season 2 and unabashedly loving it.


Gently and firmly press down the nail tape onto your nails in a random pattern. Go crazy! Then paint one coat of black polish over all the nails.

Tip: make sure you don't put parallel stripes too close together, or there might not be enough black polish in between to stick to the nail.


 Slowly, carefully, peel off the nail tape and viola! Awesome scratch art nails.

I love the look because it's such a great contrast. Also neon colors are super trendy right now!

15 comments:

  1. That is cute! I tried crackle nail polish but it didn't crackle for me - this would be much cheaper and is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. um this is neat. how did i not know about this!


    annalizbeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! Love this idea and I bet it looks great with a bright outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea!
    Hello, new follower! I would like to invite you to link up with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/autumn-giveaway-clever-chicks-blog-hop-4.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is cute...not sure I have the patience, but very clever :)

    I have a weekend blog party going if you'd care to join up!

    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/10/weekend-warmth-6.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, I've linked up my project!

      Delete
  7. Just seen you on today's Sunday Blog Hop hosted by Danielle. I just don't have the patience to self-manicure, so don't bother. But am awed by the creativity folks come through with these days!

    Come around, when you're not nail scratching! and visit the world of ColdhamCuddlies sometime: we'd love to see you! It can be found at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com!

    I'll be following here too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I'm always trying new things with my nails so I'll definitely be sure to give this a shot. Check out my latest post on Florid, Manicure Monday (if you're so inclined). I think you'll enjoy it(:

    xo,
    Jacquelyn
    http://floridblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey now that is cool and funky - a must try - like tonight I think. Thanks for sharing

    tina
    one crafty mess

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! My daughter will love this. She is painting her nails every few days. Thanks for sharing :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, very cool! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm featuring this awesome project this week at the oldies party! Check it out and link up some more great OLD projects! http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com/2013/04/an-oldie-but-goodie-12.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome idea...I pinned it plus I'm showing my 15 year old today!
    Thanks!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete