Monday, October 22, 2012

Notebook Cross Stitch Message - How Tuesday


A fun and easy cross stitch tutorial for beginners. This would make a sweet little handmade gift, with a personal message, or would be perfect to hang in a children's room. 






I snagged a 5" embroidery hoop, cross stick fabric, and jumbo pack of embroidery floss at Michaels when they were having a sale. I use the floss (and fabric) for the coffee cozies I make for my Etsy shop, but you can buy individual colors for much less if that's all you're after. You'll also want an embroidery needle, which will work better than a sewing needle for this project.



First I cut out the fabric and lined up the hoop, fasten it securely. This left an impression in the fabric, enough so that when I removed it, I could work from the outline. I cross stitched 7 rows of light blue, each 8 rows apart.

With the red floss, I backstitched straight down, so that it would make for a thinner line. It really does look like notebook paper! I re-attached the hoop/frame, so that the project would be a little sturdier when embroidering the words.


I chose to freehand the 'writing' so it would have a more casual look, but here is a great cross stitch writing website that gives you several font choices for free. I use this website all the time, for my Etsy store and for other crafts.


There you have it! You can write any message you'd like, and it makes the sweetest gift. (I ended up adding the word 'favorite' to the end, an inside joke, but with the yellow frame I think 'sunshine' would be perfect, too!)


16 comments:

  1. aww that's darling! I saw this on Adventures of a DIY mom
    http://pleasegivepeasachance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cool idea. Just became your newest follower after I went on a stroll through your blog and found that your blog has some great ideas - I will be back again soon. Have a crafty week.

    xo
    tina
    one crafty mess

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely!!! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
    Happy week!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! This is simply adorable! What a unique and creative idea! I will definitely have to make this sometime :) I found you on Handmade Tuesdays. Have a lovely day!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    www.theenchantingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative. I love the notebook look. Thanks for sharing! (I also found you on handmade tuesdays :) )
    Chelsea
    http://www.asilivewithanxiety.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Pinned! Following you now. Follow me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. TOTALLY LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sooooo CUTE!!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CUTE!!! Thanks for the idea.
    I'm a follower.
    Janet @ www.up-anchorsetsail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I love it! Thanks for the great idea :)
    Rebecca
    www.heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute and great to give to anyone! Thanks for sharing it at Miss Information!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATS!!! You have been featured at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! Come on over and grab your featured button, you deserve it!!
    http://thediydreamer.com/2012/10/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-40/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! I haven't had time to cross stitch lately but I'm going to soon. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. So adorable!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete