Monday, October 8, 2012

2 Ingredient Homemade Vanilla Extract

 How to make homemade vanilla extract with vodka. 



I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive Christmas presents that I can create in bulk, but still are unique and have a personalized touch. One year my mom and I made rice-filled heat packs for many of our friends. It was so time consuming but so, so rewarding! When I came across this idea, I knew I had to try it.

I know some of you are nowhere near Christmas mode- I know I'm hardly thinking about it yet! But this is one of those projects that would be good to start now, because the longer it sits, the better it gets!







I found my vanilla beans on Amazon for a very reasonable price. I went ahead and bought some little bottles as well, they're currently waiting in my pantry to be filled with vanilla extract for Christmas presents. 


Chop the beans lengthwise, and deposit the bean, seeds and all, into the  container of alcohol. I went with some super cheap vodka, but I've heard it works just as well with rum, brandy, etc.


Here it is after only 2 weeks, looking pretty dark and delicious already! I'm going to test it out closer to the holidays and see if it's been 'cooking' long enough. I'm really excited and impatient to see how it turns out! I'd love to hear your success stories/ideas for homemade Christmas presents for many people. 


14 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I'd never thought about making your own vanilla before. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! Back in June I started a batch of vanilla and it is now a beautiful rich color and smells wonderful! I have used it a few times but plan to let it sit a bit longer. So easy and much cheaper than buying it at the store in tiny little bottles. BTW, I did buy one tiny bottle of vanilla in a cute, small, glass bottle so that I can pour my homemade vanilla in it when I finish using it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is way cool, and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you could do this, but I've never given it a try myself. I'm glad I saw your post. I'm pinning it and adding it to my To Do list. Thanks for sharing!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is truly interesting... I would have never thought of this. Thanks for sharing your technique on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does it matter what kind of vanilla beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out this link, they have tips on what kind to buy:
      http://www.beanilla.com/blog/homemade-vanilla-extract

      Delete
  7. I've been meaning to go down to Penzey's and get some vanilla beans to make my own extract. My name is Katie and I host Fall Into the Holidays. I would love to have you link up-

    http://redcrowgreencrow.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/fall-into-the-holidays-5/

    Katie @ Horrific Knits

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been meaning to try this. THanks for sharing at MUst Try Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is right on time as I just emptied my big bottle my sister-in-law sent me last year from Mexico. I am spoiled and don't like the immitation stuff so can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey wanted to let you know you were featured on I Freakin did it Friday! Have a great week and come link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found this through Miss Information's features! So pinning this. Great idea for a homemade gift for the holidays. Thx. -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! Sorry I'm visiting/commenting so late!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm making my own too :) Mine's in vodka in a mason jar in my cupboard. I have one more month to go before I use it! I'm going to try rum next time.

    Stopping by late from Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete