Monday, September 10, 2012

Blackberry Jam Crostata - Monday Munchies


Crostata 

Recipe
3 cups of flour
10oz jar of spreadable fruit or marmalade (I used my Aunt's homemade blackberry jam - unbeatable!)
1 cup honey
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 eggs
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
Citrus zest (I used the zest from 1 whole lemon)

Bake 20 min @ 350 deg.




In a effort to 'healthify' my eating habits, I've been doing a lot of substitution (honey for sugar, coconut oil for canola oil...) As you may well know, this doesn't always work out so well. But this was one of the times where making the swap for more healthful ingredients payed off. 



Preheat your oven to 350. Combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, and citrus zest. Add to dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.


Separate a small amount of the dough for the lattice-work at the top (1/2 cup should be fine). Spread the rest of the dough into an even layer in a cookie sheet. (I wanted a thicker result, so I didn't use the entire sheet.)


Next, spread the jam in a thick layer all over the dough. I'm unresearched in the proper terminology of jam, jelly, preserves, etc. But this tastes best with a spread that has those delicious chunks of fruit still in it. Roll the remaining dough into strips and criss-cross atop the jam. Bake for 20 min, or until golden brown.


Voila! I brought this to church for our shared breakfast, and it was well received. Such a great alternative to whatever you normally have with your morning coffee or tea.



You can use whatever jam/preserves/jelly you like! This was also a perfect last minute concoction, because I had all the ingredients in my pantry already.



12 comments:

  1. oooh I love crostadas...i will have to try your healthy version...it looks awesome! come by and linkup to Centerpiece Wed on my blog and share your recipe with us. the linky party will be up tomorrow early.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up :) Oh eveytime I look at this my mouth starts to water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simple and beautiful. I love the touch of lemon. Please share it today on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just shared. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  4. this looks amazing! YUM!

    so glad you visited my blog-a-thon today, nicey!
    http://rikrakstudio.blogspot.ca/2012/09/blog-thon.html

    so happy to have you.
    have a great weekend,
    k. @ rikrak

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so delicious! I will definitely be attempting it for myself in the near future! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds wonderful. Never have had it before.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Patricia from http://topiaryrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. New Follower From RikRak - I'd love a follow back at www.ageekswifeandherdog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay yum. That really looks way too good. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had one of these but it looks really good! Thanks for linking up on I Freakin' Did it Friday @ Miss Information

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tessa,
    This looks amazing! I love anything to do with jam filled desserts and I can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful weekend
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete