Tuesday, September 25, 2012

$5 'BOO' Decoration - How Tuesday

How to make a $5 "BOO" halloween decoration.



Oh Dollar Tree, how I love thee. We just got a newer, bigger Dollar Tree where I'm at, and it's a crafters dream! I get so inspired walking through, and it's great to know I can experiment and stock up on supplies without breaking my budget. 






Supplies: 
$1 - 8" branch wreaths (2)
$1 - plain black 7"x11" mirror 
$.69 - Black acrylic paint
$1.47 - Black spray paint, matte

Total cost - $5.16




For the "B" - I freehanded the letter on the mirror after cleaning it. I based it on some Halloween fonts I found online. Go ahead and layer it on pretty thick, the uneven, splotchy look works really well for Halloween! 

I painted around the frame to give it a similar texture, even though it was already black. 


In a well ventilated area, spray the wreaths with the black spray paint. It took me a couple coats to get around into all the nooks and crannies, but they turned out so great!



There you have it! I temporarily hung mine on the wall, but wouldn't this be adorable on a front door? I think those command strip hooks would work perfectly to hang them (the picture frame does come with hanging hardware on the back).


9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I found you on Terrific Tuesday link party! I love this idea, very cute! Thanks so much for sharing:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing - how cheap, but how expensive it looks. You are right it would look great on a wreath or door decoration. I love the Dollar Tree, but have learned all those dollars can add up!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute! Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the result. And it's just a touch of Halloween, which I like because I'm not super into the Halloween holiday.

    Jill
    www.reallifenotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I found you via the Homemaker on a Dime Link Party! I am going to follow you now. Please join my new meme that starts on Friday at Diana Rambles.

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
  6. My weekly linky party--One Creative Weekend--has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit "One Creative Weekend" on OneCreativeMommy.com (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.) There are two categories—one for Halloween and one for everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute decoration. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun and creative way to display a BOO!! :) Love it!! I just found you at a linky party and wanted to pop over!! Happy Thursday to you!
    Gabby @ The Local Honey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete