Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Snow White Mani Day 2 : Poison Apple

Ombre Manicure How-to. 


Here we are at day 2 of the Snow White themed manicure series I'm doing as a countdown to the upcoming movie "Snow White and the Huntsman". This manicure is based on the classic Disney version of Snow White. This ombre polish tutorial will show you how to create this great look with only two polish colors. 




The colors I used for this tutorial are Ulta "Red Carpet Red" and "Jungle Look". Ulta was having a sale on polish, and I got both of these colors for $4 total. Total steal!


To begin the ombre manicure, drip a good amount of polish onto your work surface. A paper plate would be perfect. Make sure you get enough to cover your nails with two coats, because it's not going to be easy to mix the exact same shade again if you didn't make enough. I would either attempt this first with a cheaper polish, or if you're like me you never finish a bottle before it goes gunky, and have plenty to spare.


Grab a toothpick, and blend the colors together in the middle, mixing equal parts green and red. Make sure you mix it up well, but also keep in mind that the longer your polish is out of the bottle, the more it's going to dry out.


Blend a small amount of the center color into both the green and red polish on either side. You should now have:
1. a green that is slightly red
2. equal parts red/green
3. red that is slightly green.

Because I'm using the original polish for two nails, I only needed to mix up three new colors.


Paint them on using a cleaned brush from an old bottle of polish, and be careful to clean the brush in between every color.


There you have it! I love how even the fade is from red to green. I think ombre nails would also look really great with two colors that are similar, so the fade is even more subtle.




6 comments:

  1. I would love to try this! Your newest follower via TimeOutThursday!!! Please follow back so we can share creative ideas!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Visiting from the taylor house. This is too cute! How fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! I will have to get some and try this out. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!!!!! I soooo want to go see the Snow White movie!!

    Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too cool! I can't wait to see the movie :) Thanks for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute! I love those colors. I never thought to mix nail polish colors before, thanks for the tip and thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!

    ReplyDelete