Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How Tuesday : Twine Wrapped Trash Can


A quick and easy way to add some texture to a boring trash can. The best part about this? The grand total cost was a whopping $2.50! That's including the trash can, the twine, and the glue. 





I started off with a simple mini trash can from Dollar Tree - which obviously cost $1. It's not the most quality item in the world, but it will definitely hold trash, which is all I'm asking for.


Also from Dollar Tree - some twine! This twine was fairly thick, and the trash can I used was pretty small, so I only needed one ball. But if you're not sure, I'd definitely grab an extra ball of twine. Better safe than sorry, and it only cost a dollar!


For the beginning, I placed some hot glue every couple of inches, and began winding the twine around, starting at the bottom.


As I got further up, I used less hot glue, and it worked fine! I love how the glue is clear, and you really can't see it unless you're looking for it. Just keep winding and wrapping the twine until you get to the top.


All done! I put down extra glue to secure the last bit of twine, and it's hidden under the top lip of the trash can. It worked out perfectly, I reached the top just as I ran out of twine! 


I like how the blue still peeks through, it will match my mostly-blue bedroom. It looks so much better than it did before! This would work with other types of string, but I'd stick to something that's stiff and not too thin. Some wool yarn would look great!

10 comments:

  1. This is cool. I hate the trash can in our guest bathroom. Maybe I need to pretty it up with some twine. Thanks for sharing at our Handmade Tuesdays party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YES ... great idea on the twine! I just saw your link on www.RolledUpPretty.com and thought I would stop and say hello! pippa
    www.shopwithpippa.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing twine wrapping everywhere but NOT on a trashcan! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dropped by via Loving this Crazy life's linky ;)
    You don't need any glue? i really love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now i'm following you via GFC and Pinterest. ;) Have a nice week end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! It adds so much great texture!

    Thanks for sharing it at Creatively Living!
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love twine!!! :) Great idea - makes the bin look MUCH better. Keeping this idea tucked away for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is cool, a great idea to spice up a boring trash can. I like how cheap it was to make. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you at the next party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute idea! What a great way to give a room a new look. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great day :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete